First steps at the VŠB-TU Ostrava
Video guide from Frank and Maria about campus, transportation and food.
Registration procedures for foreign students
- Dates and deadlines for the application and registration of foreign students is two months before student’s stay begins.
- After their arrival, students will receive an "entry document". On the basis of this document they will get reduced students rates on accommodation, board, transport and other areas.
- A standard level of knowledge of the English language is required.
- All other information will be answered during the time of preparation of the student’s stay at our university through co-operation between our University Coordinator and the Coordinator at the University of a foreign student.
Host country formalities
Students from EU need only a valid passport, (no visa is required from them). Foreign students have to send main information about themselves:
- Application Form
- Learning Agreement
- Term of their student stay
- Type of study
- Type of exam which he/she would like to pass at VŠB - Technical University of Ostrava
- Type of the work, which he/she would like to finish and other details
All other information will be answered during the time of preparation of the students’ stay. All questions will be answered by the Department Coordinator of this project Milada Hlaváčková, Ph.D.
An incoming student will send information about his/her date of arrival, time of arrival to the Co-ordinator or his Assistant. The contact information is mentioned above.
Cost of living, accommodation
Foreign students will be accommodated in the students' residence of VŠB - Technical University of Ostrava. There are two or three person rooms with a bathroom. The student residence is close to VŠB - Technical University. Accommodation costs 55 CZK/day. The rooms are not suitable for handicapped students. Students may have a meal at the student canteen. The canteen prepares breakfasts, lunches, dinners and suppers during the whole week. All meals cost on the average 30 CZK. At the student’s residence, there are a sport hall, tennis courts, pub and other facilities. More information about services at university.
Health and insurance
A student will have to pay health insurance before his/her arrival in the Czech Republic. All health care and help will be obtained.
Study facilities at the host institution
The library of the university is situated in the main building. Students have the opportunity to borrow technical literature in the English or German language. This service is free. Opening hours are every day from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. All other information will be given on the base of student's requirement.
Other practical information
All other special needs of students will be answered during the co-operation between students and the Department Coordinator and a student’s supervisor.
Teaching and learning methods
The students attend tutorials and lectures from compulsory or chosen subjects. One tutorial or lecture takes 90 minutes or more. It depends on the area of this subject. One semester has 14 weeks.
Students have to fill their student duty - attend 70 % of lectures
- to pass a written examination
- to make a programme
Then student can pass an examination. In special cases (as the student stay - programme Erasmus and others) a student can have special conditions for passing an examination. It depends on the agreement between the student's university and host university. Individual lectures take place in classrooms, computer laboratories or laboratories for measuring, and other places.